Networker

Re: [Networker] Percentage of successful backups

2004-08-13 13:46:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Percentage of successful backups
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:46:16 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Percentage of successful backups, Stan Horwitz...:

I have been asked to provide daily information regarding the percentage of
successful NetWorker backups. Management here was not too clear about this
request so I am assuming I need to compute something along the lines of

total backups attempted / total backups succeeded * 100

I think that should be the other way around:

    succeeded
    --------- * 100 = success rate
    attempted

Do you use "retries", and if so, does a backup that fails the first time
(or N times, where your retry count is >= N+1) but succeeds on retry
get counted as a success or a failure?

and I have no idea how to do that.

I would probably parse the savegrp reports and figure out which volumes
succeeded, which volumes failed, and which volumes had important warnings
or additional information.

Using mminfo would be a lot easier, and in theory you should be able to
get much of this information from it, but it doesn't know about hosts
that were completely down (so no savesets were generated), etc.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu