Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape SANs and dedicated HBAs

2004-08-10 06:47:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape SANs and dedicated HBAs
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:46:32 +0200
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Bruno Madeira wrote:

BM> On my experience, we had a customer that run the storage and the tapes on
BM> the same HBA's (EMC Symm and ADIC) for 2 years and it gived me a lot of
BM> problems, unsafe romoval of device, nw reporting tapes on drivers when there
BM> weren't any, etc, even with NW 7.x. Once we installed new HBA's for the
BM> tapes, the problems went away.

Even so, I think its absurd that vendors can't fix their broken products.
Why shouldn't compability be a requirement when it comes to storage?

I mean, why not require a separate NIC for every network the server will
communicate with as well? But wait, that has already begun to happen with
iSCSI...

I think, in general, more pressure should be put on vendors to fix their
broken implementations, instead of accepting pure crap that vendors
release. Sadly, enterprise customers seem to have lower requirements on
interop, and are willing to pay plenty of money for products that coexist
poorly with other equipment and/or software. But as long as it isn't your
money.......

Oh well. *sigh*

//Oscar