Networker

Re: [Networker] SV: [Networker] Netapss and Legato

2004-08-06 11:42:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] SV: [Networker] Netapss and Legato
From: Harry Andracchio <handracchio AT SANZ DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 11:42:08 -0400
Rahul,

>>Moreover what surprises me is Veritas can change the license policy for
>>not requiring two NDMP licenses for cluster while Legato does nothing .

I had not heard that Veritas changed their NDMP licensing policy, so I just
checked with my inside sales contact at Veritas.

When I first asked the question about how many NDMP Option licenses would be
needed for a NetApp cluster, I was told two. So I asked about the rumored
change and the contact checked the internal Veritas database and said yes,
two NDMP Option licenses are needed for a NetApp cluster.

>>What I have heard that NDMP license is co-developed by Legato and Netapps
>>but list price of NDMP license for Legato is much higher than Veritas NDMP
>>license causing Maintenace price to make a difference.

The NDMP protocol was co-developed by Intelliguard Software, which merged
with Legato in 1999, and Network Appliance but I don't see how that equates
to what each company charges for licensing the NDMP option.

As far as NDMP pricing goes, Veritas charges a one flat price, where Legato
tiers pricing based on NAS manufacturer/model.

There are four tiers to Legato's NDMP pricing and, depending on NAS model,
you could pay anywhere from three times less to twice as much as Veritas for
the NDMP license.

Harry Andracchio
Solutions Engineer
SANZ Inc.
Brandywine One
Suite 300
2 Christy Drive
Chadds Ford, PA  19317-9668
Office:   610-350-0309
Cell:        215-880-9063
Fax:        610-350-0222
E-mail:   handracchio AT sanz DOT com
Moreover what surprises me is Veritas can change the license policy for not
requiring two NDMP licenses for cluster while Legato does nothing .

What I have heard that NDMP license is co-developed by Legato and Netapps
but list price of NDMP license for Legato is much higher than Veritas NDMP
license causing Maintenace price to make a difference .

I am sure Legato knows about this but if someone on this list is working in
Legato , he or she should convey this to Legato  hoping that Legato will do
something about this quickly .
regards,
- Rahul