Networker

Re: [Networker] AIT-3 hardware compression on HP-UX 11i

2004-08-04 14:44:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] AIT-3 hardware compression on HP-UX 11i
From: Craig Ruefenacht <craig.ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:44:41 -0600
On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 20:14, Yura Pismerov wrote:
> Is there mt on HPUX ?
> Try "mt -f <device> defcompression 1"
> Also check the following document (if not yet):
> http://sony.storagesupport.com/ait/downloads/unix216.pdf

There is mt on HPUX, and according to the man page (and me trying it out),
HPUX's mt doesn't know about the defcompression command

But before I got to your post, I think I found the answer.  I'll know
for sure when the test backup I'm starting now completes.  I'll post
results when I know them (for the benefit of future inquires about the
same problem).

I finally found a document that explained exactly how to make a device
on HPUX that has compression enabled.

You use the mksf (not mkfs) command with the following arguments (as
opposed to simply using the devices that the insf command creates):

  mksf -d <driver> -I <instance> -c 3 -n -u

This command is used to create a non-rewinding, Berkeley-style, AIT-3
format, compression-enabled device file.  <instance> is replaced with
the instance number that your tape drive is.  Usually tape drive #0 is
instance 0, tape drive #1 is instance 1, and so on.  The <driver> is
usually "stape".  You can see what drivers your tape drives are using on
HPUX by doing

   ioscan -f -C tape

Once I did the mksf command, a lssf on the new device shows what I would
expect:

   # lssf /dev/rmt/c2t1d0BESTC3nb

     stape card instance 2 SCSI target 1 SCSI LUN 0 berkeley no
     rewind compression type 3 best density available at address
     8/4.1.0 /dev/rmt/c2t1d0BESTC3nb

--
Craig Ruefenacht
UNIX Systems Administrator