Networker

Re: [Networker] how can i gain compressed capacity of Super AIT Tape ?

2004-08-01 21:47:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] how can i gain compressed capacity of Super AIT Tape ?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 21:49:02 -0400
On Aug 1, 2004, at 9:34 PM, sang wrote:

HI. I  searching  configuration for compressed capacity of Super AIT
Tape
Test Environment consist in below sentence
Sever : Solaris 5.8
Used Device File : /dev/rmt/0mbn, 1mbn ,2mbn,4mbn
Backup Library : Spectralogic T950
Tape Drive : Super AIT
Capacity : 500GB(native Capacity), 1.3 TB(compressed Capacity)Compress
rate 2.6:1

I know that maximum capacity is 1.3TB , however NetWorker can't gain
the
value is compressed ratio. Super AIT tape Networker used result in
499GB ,  Volume Status is changed  from available to Full status when
Networker used 499GB.
Why can't gain value of compressed ratio ?
If know it . plz help me . also  if you used Super AIT on Solaris
send me Super AIT capacity is used by networker
Waiting  your response

What's your network like? How are the S-AIT devices connected to your
Solaris system (fiber or scsi)? What kind of data are you working with?
It may be that your data is simply not compressible. For example, if
you are backing up streaming media files, then they are probably already
compressed. Also, make sure you turn off the client-side compression
option
in each client resource if you have it turned on. Compressing compressed
data can result in the opposite effect.