Networker

Re: [Networker] Changing available slots?

2004-07-31 09:29:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Changing available slots?
From: "Faidherbe, Thierry" <thierry.faidherbe AT HP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 15:29:02 +0200
If Autoclean is disabled, networker does not
take care of "available slot" (nor cleaning slot) field,
it just refer to "amount of slot", 1-30 in your case.
It's documented within nsr_jukebox man page :

cleaning slots  (read/write, list of numbers)
     This attribute designates a range of slots in the jukebox that has
     been set aside for cleaning cartridges. A range may be a single
slot
     number or a pair of slot numbers separated by a dash.  If a pair of
     slot numbers is given, the first number of the pair must be less
than
     or equal to the second. Only one range of slots may be set aside
for
>    cleaning cartridges.  If auto clean is set to no, the value of
clean-
>    ing slots is ignored and these slots may contain regular volumes.
     When auto clean is set to yes, the range of slots specified for
this
     attribute are assumed to contain cleaning cartridges, and the range
of
     slots specified by available slots and this attribute must not
over-
     lap.

You cannot force 1-29 in way of 1-30 for physical slots
because amount of slot range is gathered from
library's robotic controller.

It's a problem I already faced and solved quite simply : for each
jukebox,

. Enable NetWorker jukebox auto cleaning to take care of cleaning slot
range,
. Empty for each device of your lib the cleaning interval field.
  Being empty, devices will never be cleaned
  by networker.
  Doing so, Networker will take available slot
  range into account and inventorying your lib, it will perform
  slots 1-29 from 1-30 physical slots.
. Additionally, you can use "nsrjb -U 0 -S 30" to have cleaning
tape's barcode reported within nsrjb's inventory.

I have 4 libs configured such a way and working like a charm
with 613/614
HTH,

Th

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE

HP Services - Storage Division
Tru64 Unix and Legato EBS Consultant

 *********       *********   HEWLETT - PACKARD
 *******    h      *******   1 Rue de l'aeronef/Luchtschipstraat
 ******    h        ******   1140 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 *****    hhhh  pppp *****
 *****   h  h  p  p  *****   100/102 Blv de la Woluwe/Woluwedal
 *****  h  h  pppp   *****   1200 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 ******      p      ******   BELGIUM
 *******    p      *******
 *********       *********   Phone :    +32 (0)2  / 729.85.42
                             Mobile :   +32 (0)498/  94.60.85
                             Fax :      +32 (0)2  / 729.88.30
     I  N  V  E  N  T        Email/MSN : thierry.faidherbe AT hp DOT com
                             Internet  : http://www.hp.com/

MOBISTAR SA/NV

SYSTEM Team Charleroi, Mermoz 2 Phone : +32 (0)2  / 745.75.81
Avenue Jean Mermoz, 32          Fax :   +32 (0)2  / 745.89.56
6041 GOSSELIES                  Email : tfhaidhe AT mail.mobistar DOT be
BELGIUM                         Web :   http://www.mobistar.be/