Networker

[Networker] More confusion over cleaning

2004-07-29 18:30:47
Subject: [Networker] More confusion over cleaning
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:32:57 -0400
Okay, we're running 6.1.1, and we don't have 'auto clean' enabled on
NetWorker. I checked the device configuation, and I see the following 3
fields:

Cleaning required (Yes/No; currently set to No)
Cleaning interval (empty field)
Date last cleaned (empty field)

In checking the help window, I have several questions.

1. Can we assume that since we show a "Cleaning interval" field that our
NetWorker version does not inquire from the library if a drive needs to
be cleaned and instead just uses it's own schedule? In other words, if
we had a later release, we would not see this field? Anyone?

2. The help window says that if the "Cleaning interval" field is blank
then there is no cleaning schedule for the device. So if you leave it
blank does that mean that NetWorker will never clean it or does it
instead mean that NetWorker will ask the library and not use it's own
schedule?

3. I assume that you would NOT set "Cleaning required" to 'Yes' unless
you wanted to force a clean at the next load/unload, but if you have it
set to 'No' then auto-cleaning will still work?

4. Maybe none of this works unless you have 'auto clean' enabled but
maybe enabling that forces NetWorker to use it's own schedule to do it?

For those of you using later versions of NetWorker wherein NetWorker
apparently asks the library/device if it needs to be cleaned before
and/or the other 3 fields under devices?

Thanks.

George