Networker

Re: [Networker] Questions on setting up cleaning for Storagetek library?

2004-07-29 17:37:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Questions on setting up cleaning for Storagetek library?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:39:12 -0400
Hmmm ... How do you avoid the problem wherein the library goes to load a
cleaner tape, but NetWorker is in the middle of writing or reading to
that device or waiting to use that device? I suspect, and maybe someone
can correct me on this, that the drive issues the request for cleaning
to the library and the library then takes the drive offline to clean it,
effectively unloading whatever may be in there at the time. I mean, it
has to get any tape out before it can load a cleaner, right? If so, then
how will NetWorker know that the tape it had in there has since been
ejected? How does the library gracefully choreograph all this and not
have NetWorker choke?

Here's what would be nice, and maybe this is the case:

1. The drive sends a request to the library that it needs to be cleaned.
2. The library checks to see if the drive is in use
(writing/reading/whatever). If so, it waits until the
drive is not in use and then takes the drive off line so NetWorker will
not attempt to use it, ejects the loaded tape, loads the cleaner, ejects
the cleaner when completed and then re-loads the original tape back.

OR optionally for step 2, and even better, it tells NetWorker to eject
the tape so it can load the cleaner. That way, NetWorker knows exactly
what's going on.

George