Networker

Re: [Networker] Questions on setting up cleaning for Storagetek library?

2004-07-29 17:03:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Questions on setting up cleaning for Storagetek library?
From: Librado Pamintuan <LPamintuan AT REGINA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:03:00 -0600
Based on our experience, we use the Library cleaning option. The tape
library will be able to sense the tape drive's request for cleaning. If
you set or schedule the cleaning thru Networker, you might end up
damaging the heads because of frequent cleaning even though the drives
aren't dirty yet or the worst scenario is that you might have damaged
media due to dirty heads. The tape drives needs to be cleaned, but they
are not scheduled to be cleaned yet by Networker, so they stay dirty
until the cleaning schedule is reached.

Librado Pamintuan
Technical Support Analyst II
Information Systems Dep.
Operations Group
City of Regina

Phone:          (306) 777-7573
General Fax: (306) 777-6804
eFax:             (306) 546-6002
eMail:            lpamintuan AT regina DOT ca

>>> George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV> 07/29/04 02:33pm >>>
Hi,

We're running a Storagetek L80 with 4 LTO gen 1. drives (Seagate).
Using
NetWorker 6.1.1 on primary (Solaris) and storagenode (Linux). We can
set
up cleaning from the library or NetWorker. Can someone suggest which
method is best? Obviously, we don't want both, but not sure which way
go.

Storagetek tells me that they have customers doing either of the two
methods. I'm concerned that if we set up the cleaning from the library
that the library will take the drive off line when it needs to clean
it
and NetWorker could either be using the device or preparing to and
that
might cause problems, so I'm leaning toward setting this up from
NetWorker for proper hand shaking, but I'm open for suggestions.
Another
concern, though, is this: if I set up automatic cleaning from
NetWorker,
will the library in fact tell NetWorker that the drive(s) needs to be
cleaned? The library is supposed to relay this info/request to the
software, correct? Does this work properly on the Storagetek
libraries,
anyone?

Thanks.

George

--
Note: To sign off this list, send a "signoff networker" command via
email

DISCLAIMER: The information transmitted is intended only
for the addressee and may contain confidential,
proprietary and/or privileged material. Any
unauthorized review, distribution or other use
of or the taking of any action in reliance upon
this information is prohibited. If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and
delete or destroy this message and any copies.