Networker

[Networker] How deleted files affect saveset recover versus nwrecover?

2004-07-28 18:37:38
Subject: [Networker] How deleted files affect saveset recover versus nwrecover?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 18:39:41 -0400
Hi,

Here's a question that I think was explained to me one time in the past,
but I find myself lacking an answer now and I'm confused.

Let's suppose you run a full against something like /0/path and you have
indexing turned on for the given pool. You then run say 10 incrementals
over the next 10 days. Prior to the backups, folks are creating,
modifying and deleting data under /0/path. Now, the incrementals should
be capturing all the files that have either been added or modified since
the previous incremental, but what happens to the deleted files? Is the
index updated with this info? Here's where I'm going with this. If I use
nwrecover to change the date to the last incremental then I should see
an exact picture of the way /0/path looked as of the last incremental,
so any previously deleted files from before that should NOT show up but
any ones deleted after that should, correct? Isn't this the whole point
of the index in that it allows you to change the browse time to reflect
the way the path looked at that time never mind what happened after or
before?

If, in this example, you instead used saveset recover to recover the
original full instance of /0/path, and then you recovered all 10
incrementals (overwriting any identical file names), then the deleted
files would be recovered and would not be removed as you progressed
through the recovers, so you'd end up with the original, the latest
versions of the modified files and all the files that were ever deleted
since the full, right? This seems kind of bogus. I mean, you now have
extra files, right? So what are you to do with those, and how would you
identify them? It seems clear to me that within the browse policy,
saveset recover and nwrecover do not really achieve exactly the same
thing. The files recovered from nwrecover are a subset of what saveset
recover would result in, right? Am I correct in saying that in the
example above, saveset recover = newrecover + all the deleted files? Hmm

Maybe someone can straighten me out here. Why use saveset recover if you
end up with extra files? What's the advantage of saveset recover *IF*
you have an index and you're recovering data within the browse policy?

One reason I can think of is that a huge index can take a long time to
load, but saveset recover is a no-brainer that requires no real mental
anguish on the part of the client or the server. We had to run this
recently because nwrecover just sat there all day and never loaded.

George