Networker

Re: [Networker] Identifying suspect savesets and clflags attribute?

2004-07-23 18:34:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Identifying suspect savesets and clflags attribute?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:36:15 -0700
> Thanks, Darren. I forgot that every saveset is a clone of itself, but
> I'm still shaky on the suspect thing.
>
> If I understand correctly, if we had NEVER recovered any data from any
> of those tapes at any point in time, and if the saveset was identified
> as 'browsable suspect' immediately after the original backup completed

Well, first of all, I don't think savesets are ever marked suspect after
a backup.  I think they would only be so during a read operation.

> then what command would have shown us this? mminfo -vq
> 'ssid=value,suspect' or mminfo -vq 'ssid=value' -r 'clflags'?

You don't need to query any ssid unless you want to limit it.

Just do..

mminfo -av -q 'suspect' -r 'volume,ssid'

> Are you actually saying that if we had NEVER read those tapes that the
> saveset would NOT have shown up in the GUI as 'browsable suspect'?

That's my understanding (where cloning can count as reading).

> know I've seen this happen a few times in the past, but in this case,
> mminfo does not report it as incomplete. I run mminfo with something
> like -r 'ssflags,sumflags', and it reports the three instances of that
> saveset as vF for the ssflags value and hb, mb and tb respectively for
> the sumflags, but I don't see anything to indicate recycled (E) or
> incomplete (i) or anything else that you'd expect if the saveset had
> failed, and I would think that's what you'd see if it was listed in the
> volumes window as suspect, immediately after completing.

Hmm.  Possible.  I'm not familiar with it.  My assumption was that
'suspect' reflected a read error in the past, and that any hard errors
during a save would abort the session.

> Can a saveset be listed in the volumes window as suspect if you've never
> read the tape? I'm just a little confused here, and I wanna put together
> a script that I can run each morning to check for any of these bad
> apples that ran the night before, and we will not have read from them or
> cloned them. We can only afford to run clone certain special data sets,
> but I can always re-run a backup for a failed or suspect saveset.

Perhaps others can fill in more, but my understanding was suspect only
after read.

Does anyone else see suspect without a read?