Networker

[Networker] A few questions and advice on moving indexes

2004-07-22 11:40:52
Subject: [Networker] A few questions and advice on moving indexes
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:42:55 -0400
Hi,

The index area (/disk2/nsr/index) on our primary server is starting to
fill up. disk2 is maxing out, and the index area comprises most of that
space that's being used on that disk. I'd like to move some of the
larger clients over to another disk (/disk3) to free up some space. We
currently have some indexes already over there (/disk3/nsr_index), but I
don't recall the exact method I used before to move them there. We're
running 6.1.1, and I know this version of NetWorker does not use holey
files like older versions did, so I believe they can be moved, but I
wanna be clear on the method, and I have a few questions below.

Looking at the 'index path' field under the client window (details) in
nwadmin, they mention the following technique under the help window:

* 1. Enter the full path of the new location.
* 2. Click Apply.
* 3. Shutdown the NetWorker services, using nsr_shutdown.
* 4. Move the existing location to the new location. For
* example, mv /nsr/index/clientname /space/new_dir

* Notice that you should not include the clientname in the destination
pathname. The clientname is copied
* automatically during the move.
* 5. Restart the NetWorker services, using nsrexecd and nsrd.
* 6. To verify that the new directory contains the same number
* of indexes, you can run nsrinfo clientname

1. Is that all there is to it? Just change the pathname for all the ones
I wanna move, shutdown NetWorker, move all of them and restart
NetWorker.

2. If I run 'nsrinfo client' for each client before and save the output
before changing the path names, and then again after everything has been
moved and NetWorker has been restarted, should I expect to see the same
output (same number of lines, no diffs)?

3. When creating a new client for the first time using the GUI, can you
change the default location, using the 'Index path' field before hitting
'Apply' or is this field only used to change it after the fact? Any way
to make it the non-default location when you create it?

Thanks.

George