Networker

Re: [Networker] Directed Recover with DDS and NDMP restore

2004-07-10 21:58:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] Directed Recover with DDS and NDMP restore
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 01:58:28 -0700

> When you do CIFS backup I was told that retaining ACL's  is problem , is it
> true ?

Which ACLs?  In general, CIFS backups will retain them just fine.
NetApp designs theirs so that a CIFS backup will save not only the CIFS
ACLs but also the NFS structure also.

> When you are doing restore obviously you have to do using CIFS /NFS .

You'd need to restore the same way you did the backup.

> I was told by Legato sales that NAS vendors use ifferent formats to write on
> the tape using NDMP makes it impossible to read Netapps NDMP tape by EMC NAS
> or HP NAS .

NDMP does not specify a tape format (or the data over the network).  So
yes, it is possible that one NDMP device may use a completely different
format and not be able to restore anothers.