Networker

Re: [Networker] Label Before job or Let Networker Do it?

2004-07-08 18:26:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Label Before job or Let Networker Do it?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 15:26:23 -0700
>> Are the pools set up to be able to recycle tapes from each other?
>
> Not sure... I think you have to enable Networker to automatically label
> tapes and I have been burned by networker label tapes that hadn't been
> inventories but had data that I needed.

I don't know any way to turn *off* automatic relabeling of tapes.  If
networker needs a tape, and it has an expired, non-manual-recycle tape
in the right pool, it will relabel it.

You can turn off automatic labeling of non-networker tapes, but that's
not the scenario you're talking about.

Whether you've run an inventory or not, netwoker always attempts to
verify a volume label before relabeling or applying an initial label.
If the volume has a networker label, then it refers to the media
database for how to deal with it.  That doesn't mean that a media
failure couldn't allow the verification to fail, but it shouldn't happen
in normal operations.

If networker ever labeled tapes that had needed data, I would want to
know *exactly* what happened.  Being unclear about such situations makes
them likely to be repeated.

What I was asking earlier was about the 'recycle to other pools' and
'recycle from other pools' attributes for the pools in question.  Even
if networker can relabel the tape, if those aren't set properly, you can
still run out of tapes that can be used by particular pools.