Networker

Re: [Networker] Incremental Archive Bit Issue

2004-07-02 12:33:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Incremental Archive Bit Issue
From: Robert Maiello <robert.maiello AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 12:33:17 -0400
Yes, if you read in the archives you will find this behaviour exist.  In
a nutshell the problem can arise if there are files being copied to the
server in a certain way; Networker will not clear the archive bit until
the next full.  The reasoning is based on the backup levels between 0
(full) and 1 (incr) needing the files.  I have seen for boxes we
transitioning files to, the incremental backups were almost as big as the
fulls.

I can't say I agree with the reasoning but to answer your question; I've
had some luck in using the NTFS change journal for backups.  Search the
archives;  for largish volumes the default change journal values need to be
raised.  One will, unfortunately, need to do a full backup after the change
journal is enabled for each drive.  The incrementals, then should approach
some sane sizes.

Robert Maiello
Pioneer Data Systems

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:47:39 -0500, Philip Gaitan <pgaitan AT RACKSPACE DOT COM>
wrote:

>Good morning,
>
>I am currently experiancing an issue with a custom schedule that has been
>set up for one of my customers.  The server is running Windows 2000 with
the
>7.1.1 NetWorker client.  The custome schedule is a FULL on the first of the
>month, and INCREMENTAL each day after until the 1st of the next month.  I
>tried to advise against this, but was not successfull.
>
>That said, about a month ago we noticed that the archive bit was not
>clearing after files were backed up. The folder that is being copied by
>Legato is a data store thus once files are written they have all ready been
>used and are untouched from there on.  I verified that the time stamp never
>changed from day to day.  At that time the Networker Agent was 6.1.2.
After