Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP restore problems. Yet again.

2004-06-24 10:19:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP restore problems. Yet again.
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:18:51 +0200
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Itzik Meirson wrote:

IM> 1.  Try to do the recovery from the GUI with nwrecover and see if it
IM> behaves better.

Nope, I get the following:
Direct Retrieval
nsrndmp_recover: RPC error: Unknown host

I haven't figured out why I get this, since the filer, the server running
networker user and the networker server can all resolve eachother.

IM> 2.  Try to do an automatic recovery with "recover -c blabla -s server
IM> -d /vol/vol0/RelocateDirectory -a /vol/vol0/path-to-file-or-directory"

I'll try that if I run into more problems sometime.

IM> 3.  Try a saveset recovery from the GUI when you specify the exact
IM> file or directory path to recover. This will be slower as it will have
IM> to read the full backup looking for the specific file.

Yup. I did an NDMP directory level restore from the last full backup
(since we're not using indexes for this restore), by using the following
command on the networker server:

nsrndmp_recover -c filer_name -s nsrhost -S ssid -v off -m
filername::/vol/vol0/targetdir /vol/vol0/dirtoberecovered

That worked well, but took a while. And it would be a great effort to
recover each saveset if I need to merge this with non-full backups.

IM> 4.  To try and gather more information on the Netapp side you could
IM> look in the /etc/logs/backup file for one and also enable ndmpd
IM> debugging with ndmpd debug 50/70. (review the exact Netapp
IM> documentation)

Done that. No oddness in the logs.

IM> As for the NDMP Tape service you are using it is called SnapImage, and
IM> the current release for Solaris and HP/UX is 1.6. It did not get
IM> updated for quite some time.
IM> SnapImage has got since then a new version, 2.0, but this is a Windows
IM> only version. Part of the Windows product (separately orderable) is an
IM> NDMP Tape driver.

OK.

IM> Please let us all know how and if your problem has been solved.

Well, as I said, it worked when doing an NDMP directory level restore of
the last full backup, but this has numerous disadvantages compared to
doing DAR restores.

//Oscar