Networker

Re: [Networker] "cannot encode arguments"?

2004-06-23 09:54:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] "cannot encode arguments"?
From: rick pim <rick AT POST.QUEENSU DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:53:39 -0400
 > > > * quchem:/export/home savegrp: suppressed 4 lines of output
 > > > * quchem:/export/home save: RPC error: RPC cannot encode arguments
 > > > * quchem:/export/home save: save of /export/home to ccs-backup failed

 > Hello, first check your networker log files to find see what the suppressed
 > 4 lines of output are. Then ensure that you can do a "rpcinfo -p
 > yourserver.com" both ways from client to server and server to client. also
 > restart portmapper "rpcbind -w".

in case anyone else sees this. a user on the affected client system
had created a directory structure something like
   /export/home/userid/acrobat/acrobat/acrobat/acrobat/.......
sufficiently deep (we didn't count) that networker couldn't deal
with it. removing that tree fixed things.

rp

rick pim                                           rick AT post.queensu DOT ca
information technology services                          (613) 533-2242
queen's university, kingston
Friendship is a common belief in the same fallacies, mountebanks, and
hobgoblins.
                    -- H L Mencken