Networker

Re: [Networker] Scavenge the media database

2004-06-14 10:17:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Scavenge the media database
From: Paul Crossman <pcrossma AT ORANGE DOT US>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:16:40 -0400
Here's the process if you haven't had the chance to look at the Legato
KB.

I have this handy since I had to perform this recently.  This one is for
Windows.  The make the appropriate changes for UNIX systems.

Thanks,
Paul C.

==

Fix   These are steps to perform that will identify and/or fix
'corruption' within a media database, if it does in fact exist.

Make sure you have a bootstrap backup before commencing.

First, check the file system to make sure that it is 'sane' before
performing the media scavenging procedure. For example, in UNIX use
fsck.

Step 1) Stop NetWorker services (NetWorker Backup and Recovery Server,
then NetWorker Remote Exec Service)

Step 2) Delete \nsr\mm\cmprssd

Step 3) Restart NetWorker services

Step 4) Run nsrim -X

Step 5) Stop NetWorker services

Step 6) In \nsr\mm\mmvolume6 delete all files except the following:
vol.0, ss.0, clients.0, vol.1, ss.1, clients.1, vol.2, ss.2, clients.2,
vol.3, ss.3, clients.3, etc.

Step 7) Empty the files in the \nsr\tmp directory Step 8) Start
NetWorker Remote Exec Service, then NetWorker Backup and Recovery
Services

NOTES:
Step 2 is to force NetWorker to compress the media db, by removing the
/nsr/mm/cmprssd file. Restarting the daemons will compress the media db.

Step 4 will consistency check the data structures of the save sets with
the data structures of the volume.

Step 6 is simply a way to force NetWorker to rebuild the media db. The
files that are deleted are all rebuildable from the 'main' media db
file. By deleting all the 'keys', they will be rebuilt next time around.
NOTE: be careful when deleting the files and make sure not to delete the
files (vol.0, ss.0, clients.0, vol.1, ss.1, clients.1, vol.2, ss.2,
clients.2, etc.). These files are needed to rebuild the media database.