Networker

Re: [Networker] Client id versus resource identifier?

2004-05-18 17:40:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Client id versus resource identifier?
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:40:29 +0100
George Sinclair wrote:
Hi,

After reading several posts and followups, I'm still confused about this
business of the client ID versus the resource identifier and what, if
anything, I should do with these values if re-creating or renaming a
client:

I don't know why the resource identifier has come into this discussion,
it is totally irrelevant. Forget it even exists. There is nothing at all
in NetWorker that requires you to know the resource ID or to do anything
with it.

The client ID is hugely important. Having been bitten by it myself I
would always be careful to specify it when re-creating a client that has
previously been deleted. I'm not sure whether it is a problem when
re-creating the client with the same name, but I wouldn't take any
chances, because the consequences of getting it wrong are serious. You
can find backups been written into the media DB under a different client
ID, making it extremely difficult to recover from. It is very difficult
to fix.