Networker

[Networker] Backup Slows down after initial Fast start

2004-05-14 08:25:11
Subject: [Networker] Backup Slows down after initial Fast start
From: Riaan Louwrens <riaanl AT SOURCECONSULTING.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 14:27:38 +0200
Hi There,

Got a puzzling scenario that somebody might be able to help me with.

I have a machine that has Solaris 8 and Networker 7.1 on (havent had time to
go 711 yet).

When I do a backup on the local backup server itself the backup kicks of at
a reasonable speed for my DLT8000 device (8MB/s).

This normally lasts a couple of minutes and then starts dropping and
eventually end's up in the 100's of KB/s.

At first I thought this might be a filetype propblem (lots of small files,
but there is only the "normal" OS files and then the DB files) - but when
doing a INFORMIX raw backup I get the same symptom.

The machine itself is not running hard at all (Legato is typically using
less than 2%). Lots of disk space available, lots of everything ...

Any thoughts, perhaps suggestions where I can look next ?

All help appreciated (so late on this Friday, I just know I will be drinking
lots of coffee again tonight .... ),

Regards,
Riaan

---