Networker

Re: [Networker] Auto media verify?

2004-05-07 09:40:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Auto media verify?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 09:40:25 -0400
On Fri, 7 May 2004, Steve Rader wrote:

>DLT (and most all modern tape technologies, IIRC) do "read after
>write", so DLT drives automatically verify that all the data they
>receive is written to tape.  That leads me to think that auto media
>verify is not necessary, at least when writing to DLT.
>
>So I'm still left wondering: is there some compelling reason
>to set auto media verify?  (If the answer is yes, I would think
>Legato would make it a default setting or at least mention it in
>doc/release notes.)

Maybe I am being a bit annal, but for me, the reason is that I want as
much assurance that my backups are reliable as possible. The time added
onto my nightly backup schedule to use auto media verify is minimal so I
do not have a compelling reason NOT to use it.

Getting back to the issue of using the Default pool, there is are two
other reasons why I do not use it. One is that it cannot be changed to
enable the "Recycle to other pools" option. The other is that the Default
pool cannot be changed to allow the Recycle from other pools" option. Both
those options are of critical importance to me, but evidently not to every
NetWorker administrator.