Networker

[Networker] How to clone to separate media types at same time?

2004-05-06 18:51:44
Subject: [Networker] How to clone to separate media types at same time?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 18:53:12 -0400
Hi,

I have a large number of savesets set in pool A that I want to clone to
pool B. The tapes that contain the data are a combination of LTO and
SDLT, but the LTO drives are on a separate library from the SDLT, but
both libraries are connected to the same storage node server. For faster
speed, I would prefer to clone savesets from the LTO tapes to LTO clone
volumes and savesets from the SDLT tapes to SDLT clone volumes, so in
each case, the affected clone volume is in the same library and thus
much faster speed. I would also like to be able to run both clone
operations simultaneously as:

nsrclone -s server -b pool -S ssid1 ssid2 ssid3 (where ssid1, 2, 3 ...
are on LTO volumes) and will be cloning to a clone volume in LTO
library.

nsrclone -s server -b pool -S ssid_a ssid_b ssid _c (where ssid_a, b, c
... are on SDLT volumes) and will be cloning to a clone volume in SDLT
library.

Seems to me that the simultaneous clone operations shouldn't hamper
anything as they're coming and going to different physical tapes, *BUT*
I don't want NetWorker to clone the savesets on the SDLT volume onto one
of the available LTO clone volumes or vice versa. Thing is I'm not sure
how or if I can even make NetWorker keep the cloned savesets on the
correct tapes and not cross libraries? I mean, I could, of course, not
load, disable or simply uncheck the affected devices in the pools window
-- we all know that -- but that forces me to do one clone command at a
time and then switch back. I'd like to run both clone operations at the
same time, but not sure if this is possible?
]
I did consider max sessions per device, but at some point, it's gonna
have a sessions or two free and then other sessions pending might switch
over? Don't wanna chance that. I wanna segregate it. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

George