Networker

[Networker] What speed can we expect on a Gb network?

2004-05-05 12:08:53
Subject: [Networker] What speed can we expect on a Gb network?
From: Michael Hurst <mhurst AT NOC.UTORONTO DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 12:08:40 -0400
Hi All,

We recently setup a Gb network between 4 Linux 6.1.3 clients and our Solaris
6.1.3 NetWorker Server.
When we backup the clients to 3 LTO-1 drives we get a rate of 14MB/s on each
drive.
When we add a fourth drive to the backups, the rate drops to 10MB/sec on each
drive.

We then put a port monitor on the connection to the NetWorker Server.
No matter how I change the number of clients, target sessions or parallelism we
top out the connection at just over 40MB/sec.

We were wondering if this is the maximum transfer rate we will see on the Gb
interface or if we need to tune tcpip.
Is anyone seeing better speeds on the Gb NIC to their NetWorker Servers?

Note: NetWorker Server is a Sun Fire 280-R with dual 700Mhz CPUs and 1.5GB of
RAM.
Still shows lots of CPU and memory available during the backups.

TIA,
Michael Hurst
University of Toronto
Email: michael.hurst AT utoronto DOT ca