Networker

Re: [Networker] not a typewriter

2004-04-30 10:21:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] not a typewriter
From: Carl Farnsworth <cfarnsworth AT SYMPATICO DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:21:44 -0400
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:40:55 -0500, Tim Mooney
<mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU> wrote:

>In regard to: [Networker] not a typewriter, Carl Farnsworth said (at...:
>
>>I'm working on a fresh NetWorker install, 7.1, server Win2K, and I've
>>noticed the error message below on two HP-UX 11i clients.  It appears
every
>>day in the Savegroup Completion report.
>>
>> * <client>:/ ttytype: couldn't open /dev/tty for reading
>> * <client>:/ stty: : Not a typewriter
>> * <client>:/ stty: : Not a typewriter
>>
>>I know I've seen something about this message before, tried searching
>>Archive but couldn't find anything.  I'm pretty sure it's a benign
message,
>>but can somebody confirm that for me?  Only match on Legato's e-
>>knowledgebase indicates could be index corruption?
>
>Log in as root on the client, and do
>
>        egrep 'ttytype|stty' .[A-Za-z]*
>
>One of the environment files likely has commands in it that depend on
>having a pty allocated.  For non-login sessions, you can't depend on
>having a pty.
>
>Basically, you need to move those commands into a file that only gets
>read when you're guaranteed that you have a pty.  For Bourne-like shells,
>that's probably `.profile'.  For Csh-like shells, that's probably .login.
>
>Tim

Thanks to Tim and also Hrvoje for your responses.  However, I'm not as
swift on the uptake as I used to be .... but it sounds like this is an O/S
response to the "stty" commands in root's .profile (still referencing
$VUE!!), and not a serious error.  Am I right in telling my customer that
his backups are okay?

Regards,
Carl Farnsworth