Networker

Re: [Networker] Recovering files from an old backup

2004-04-30 05:10:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recovering files from an old backup
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 07:26:14 +0100
Mark Gelaides wrote:
Hello All:

Networker 6.1.4, Windows 2000 Server

Around a year ago, we performed a manual backup of a server that we were
taking offline permanently.  And of course now, a year later, we have a
need to get some data off of that backup tape.

I ran the command line utility: >scanner -m 3769564417 \\.\Tape0  (I have
the save set ID)

but it gave me the error message below:

 scanner: File index error: `hcdsvr-2.___dom.com' is not a registered
client
(the client resource was removed from networker when we took the server
offline)

I tried to re-create the client resource, but couldn't obvously since the
server doesnt exist anymore...
Any idea on how I would be able to recover files from this tape?

All you need is a dummy hosts file entry on your NetWorker server, to
make NetWorker think it can resolve the old host, then you will be able
to recreate the client resource for the duration of the restore.