Networker

Re: [Networker] RPC on a client outside the firewall

2004-04-28 23:01:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] RPC on a client outside the firewall
From: Roy Kidder <RoyKidder AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:01:52 -0400
A slightly more complicated, but far more secure option is to use a
point-to-point vpn connection between the client outside the firewall and
the server inside the firewall. Many vpn solutions (I use vpnd,
sunsite.dk/vpnd) allow you to tunnel all your traffic (regardless of what
it is) over a single, encrypted tcp port, which usually satisfies network
and security folks, and still allows relatively unfettered access to
network services.

Hope that helps,
Roy