Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem child tape -- what to do???

2004-04-27 19:22:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem child tape -- what to do???
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:23:46 -0400
I should have mentioned that I did check to see if the database had that
volid. It does not. The result of the command is just the header line:
volume   barcode

I am not aware of ever having forced any tapes to become recycleable.
>From time to time I do change some tapes to manual recycle via the GUI,
and I do sometimes relabel tapes, but this was NOT one of those -- at
least not that I'm aware of or can recall.

So steps to carry out should be:

1. nsrck -mv
2. nsrck -Xv
3. Delete volume
4. nsrck -mv
5. nsrck -Xv
6. Scan tape using scanner -m <drive> or scanner -i <drive>?

Just kinda has me worried that maybe scanning in the data might screw up
something in the online file indexes? Then again, maybe not since none
of the reported ssids show up anyway. But, here's a question. The last
part of the output from the scan I ran earlier (scanner -inv <drive>)
indicated that one of the savesets continued on another tape, so if I
scan in the data on this trouble tape then it might ask for that next
volume, but how do I know what volume that is? It gave me an ssid for
the saveset, but that ssid doesn't show up in the database, so I can't
very well figure out what volume it would be on so wouldn't know which
volume to load?

Thanks.

George