Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem child tape -- what to do???

2004-04-27 19:11:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem child tape -- what to do???
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:11:16 -0700
> explain, and I have some questions on how best to proceed.
>
> 1. Output from: mminfo -aq 'volume=volume_name' shows this volume as
> having
> 7 savesets. No problems here. Whether we believe it or not is another
> matter.

Probably shouldn't.

> 2. When I ran the scanner command to scan the tape to obtain its
> volid, I ran it as: scanner -inv <drive> and saved the output to a
> file (sample output included below). I then went in to look at the
> contents, and I noticed several
> interesting things. First, among all the voluminous output, there were
> 5 different ssids reported, but 99.9% of the file refers to only three
> of them, and so there are only a few places where the other 2 are
> referenced. None of the 5 lists in the database. I ran mminfo -aq
> 'ssid=ssid_number' for each and none turned up! The other interesting
> thing is that none of these ssids match any of the ssids reported in
> item 1 above!

Since the volids are different, I wouldn't expect the ssids on the tape
to match those for the volume name in the database.  I wouldn't be
surprised if they partially matched those on other volumes, but it looks
like you weren't that lucky.

> One of the two ssids that's only reported a few times
> corresponds to a file system that wasn't even reported in 1
> above. There are also some error messages near the end of the
> file. Also, near the end, it reports that there is a continued saveset
> on another tape, and it reports the file system and the ssid, but this
> file system again is not one of the 7 listed in item 1, and I checked
> for the ssid and it's not listed in the database either. I've provided
> a sample output below.
>
> I'm beginning to wonder if the on-line file index entries for the data
> on this tape is just completely bogus -- as in it matches some other
> volume and not this one, or maybe it's just a fantasy.

I would imagine it was reality at one point in time.  However the volume
that it refers to may no longer exist, or may no longer be accessible.

Have you ever had to recover the media database on this server?  Does
the savetime of either the real volume or the media volume correspond to
that time?

Is there any chance that there was a duplicate volume created in the
past either by reusing a barcode or by creating an accidental duplicate
barcode?

> Or, is it
> instead the other other way around? I guess I was planning to rebuild
> just the media database by running: scanner -m <drive> but at least
> one person suggested maybe deleting the volume first. If I do that,
> however, then won't the file indexes get wiped out, too?

Yes they would.  But they're almost certainly for some other volume (not
the one in your hands).  Unless you can find that other volume, the file
(and media) indexes are useless.

> Seems then
> that I would need to run scanner -i to rebuild both

correct.

, but I'm thinking
> maybe I don't wanna do that based on some of the error messages ... I
> mean
> maybe that might end up corrupting some of the valid online file index
> information. Maybe just rebuild media database and not delete volume
> first?

The problem is trying to figure out what really happened here.  Does the
time for the savesets and the name on the savesets (on the physical
media) make sense for your environment?  Do you have other savesets in
your database from that same day?  *should you*? (perhaps normally they
should have expired).

> scanner: scanning file 72, record 400
> scanner: scanning file 72, record 500
> scanner: fn 72 rn 506 read error Input/output error
> scanner: Opened /dev/nst4 for read
> scanner: fn 73 rn 0 read error Input/output error
> scanner: Opened /dev/nst4 for read
> scanner: fn 73 rn 0 read error Input/output error
> scanner: Opened /dev/nst4 for read
> scanner: ssid 1093463041: NOT complete
> scanner: ssid 1093463041: 93 GB, 771443 file(s)
> scanner: done with sdlt tape FUL649

Hmm.  That is a bit strange.

> scanner: Rewinding...
> scanner: Rewinding done
> scanner: the following save sets continue on another volume:
> client name  save set             save time     level   size  files
> ssid    S
> client1     /raid                2/29/04  0:00  f 95378219156 771443
> 1093463041 S
> scanner: when next volume is ready, enter device name (or `q' to quit)
> [rd=snode:/dev/nst4]?q
> scanner: (ssid 1093463041) error decoding save stream
> scanner: (ssid 1093463041) would have added 293506 new file index
> entries

If you don't have the continuation savesets in your database, and you
can't find any sign of them, I wouldn't scan them in.

I might also do a spot check of some other "similar" tapes (perhaps from
the same time frame) to see if any of them have volid mismatches.