Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem child tape -- what to do???

2004-04-27 18:13:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem child tape -- what to do???
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 17:13:40 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Problem child tape -- what to do???, George...:

>1. Output from: mminfo -aq 'volume=volume_name' shows this volume as
>having 7 savesets. No problems here. Whether we believe it or not is another
>matter.

What does

        mminfo -q volid=606471681 -r 'volume,barcode'

report?

>I'm beginning to wonder if the on-line file index entries for the data
>on this tape is just completely bogus -- as in it matches some other
>volume and not this one,

My suspicion is that is indeed the case.  My guess is the mystery volume
is one that you forced into the recycleable state, using either the
GUI or nsrmm.

> or maybe it's just a fantasy. Or, is it
>instead the other other way around? I guess I was planning to rebuild
>just the media database by running: scanner -m <drive> but at least
>one person suggested maybe deleting the volume first.

I would recommend doing that too (delete the volume), but see below.

> If I do that,
>however, then won't the file indexes get wiped out, too?

Yes, but that may not be a bad thing.

You should probably run a consistency check both before and after you
do anything with that volume (i.e. delete it).  You might want to do
something like

        nsrck -mv
        nsrck -Xv               # aka nsrck -v -L 3

The burning question I have is this:  Have you manually (either via
the GUI or nsrmm) forced any tapes to become recycleable recently?

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu