Networker

Re: [Networker] Opinions on AlphaStore: Anyone using it?

2004-04-27 04:20:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Opinions on AlphaStore: Anyone using it?
From: "Wood, R A (Bob)" <WoodR AT CHEVRONTEXACO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:16:43 +0100
Yes, I'm using AlphaStor, have been for 3 or 4 years.

Overall the experience is not bad but there are some quirks. These
centre around what happens when AlphaStor, Networker and reality have a
disagreement (once you've sorted the order that you put things straight
life gets bearable)

Right now we have a bit of a problem trying to get AlphaStor to see a
new Networker server (Solaris server and it doesn't create the device
for the auto-changer that AlphaStor requires to configure the library -
but we're working on that).

Once set up it is pretty straightforward to use (don't notice that it's
there half of the time). You soon get used to the number of messages
that are created for each tape operation.

I'd suggest getting some training before it goes in (mmm... I must get
round to that...)

If you have specific questions or concerns, post away, I'm sure there'll
be someone on this list who has the answer. :)

Regards
Bob