Networker

[Networker] Odd recycle pattern

2004-04-19 13:22:10
Subject: [Networker] Odd recycle pattern
From: Craig Ruefenacht <craig.ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:22:01 -0600
Hi,

I have been adjusting our browse/retention periods.  Our server is HPUX
11i, Networker 6.1.3, and all of our clients that concern me are UNIX
(Sun, HP, Linux) running Networker 6.1.3 client.

We have a rotation cycle where we do incrementals throughout the week
and fulls staggerd on Saturday/Sunday.  We have enough AIT-2 tapes to
maintain about 1 month of data on tape before we need to reuse the tape.

I've been working on refining the browse/retention policy so that the
tapes will automatically expire and be marked as recyclable after 1
month.  However, I'm seeing some odd behavior that I'd like to
understand better.

Say I had five tapes.  Each tape was written to in sequential order, so
nothing was written to tape#2 until tape#1 was full, nothing was written
to tape#3 until tape#2 is full, and so on.  All savesets being written
to the five tapes have their browse policy set to 1 month, and the
retention policy is set to 1 month (both the browse and retention policy
use the same "Month" directive).

I would think that the tapes would be automatically marked as recyclable
in the same order that they were written to.  For example:

   Tape #       Last Written to         Recycle On
   1            March 3, 2004           1 month after March 3
   2            March 4, 2004           1 month after March 4
   3            March 4, 2004           1 month after March 4
   4            March 5, 2004           1 month after March 5
   5            March 6, 2004           1 month after March 6

So one month after March 3, I should see that tape#1 was recycled, and
one month after March 4, I should see tape#2 and tape#3 recycled, and so
on.

What I'm seeing, though, is that tape#1 and tape#5 will be recycled on
the same day, and then a couple of days later, tape#4 will be recycled,
and yet later tape#2 and tape#3 will be recycled.  And the pattern is
not always the same.  Sometimes tape#2 and tape#3 will be recycled
first, and then tape#5, and then tape#4, and then tape#1.  While they
all get recycled within a 1 week period, I'd like Networker to
automatically recycle them in order so that I don't have to do it
myself.

If the recycle policy is such that there are usually at most 1 or 2
tapes available for Networker to use, this creates the possibility that
Networker can use the tapes out of order.

All the tapes are AIT-2 in a SpectraLogic Gator 64000, connected via
SCSI to the HPUX server.

So why isn't Networker recycling the tapes in the order in which they
were written to, and, hence, in the order in which all the savesets on
each tape becomes expired?

--
Craig Ruefenacht
UNIX Systems Administrator