Networker

[Networker] Tape Block Sizes

2004-04-14 13:56:42
Subject: [Networker] Tape Block Sizes
From: Matt Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:56:36 -0400
All,
       (RH Linux 9.0; Networker 7.0)

       I'm still involved with a problem I'd written in about
a month ago, the symptom of which is a "tape label not found"
warning on a tape that is clearly labeled and can be mounted
on another tape drive.  Running the "mt" commands shows that
the block size indicated has occasionally said 512b; the
"devices details" says 192kb, and the "device block size" says
"handler default."

       I'm not clear what the relationship is between stinit and
Networker.   If I set the block size to 192 kb in the "device
block size" will it override anything that might have been set
by stinit?

       It looks that though everything gets very confused when
the device expects a tape with 192kb blocks but gets a tape with 512b
blocks.

       Anyone out there with good understanding of this issue?

                                       Matt Temple

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street, LG300/300   http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!