Networker

Re: [Networker] FW: Incremantal backups in Legato Networker 6.1.4

2004-04-14 12:43:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] FW: Incremantal backups in Legato Networker 6.1.4
From: Craig Ruefenacht <craig.ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:42:54 -0600
I hate to disagree, but, from the man page of Legato's "save" command
(the command that does the actual save):

  -t date
      The date (in nsr_getdate(3) format) by which files must have
      been modified for them to be saved.  This option is used by
      savegrp(8) and savefs(8) to perform scheduled saves by
      consulting with the media database to determine the appropriate
      time value based on the previous saves for the save set and the
      level of the scheduled save.

This is consistent from my post yesterday in this thread, as well as
some posts I made late in 2003 about this (search the mailing list
archives for subject "determing what files to backup based on
modification times" for a in-depth explanation).  This almost bit us
because of our setup of using BCV volumes with an EMC Symmetrix and the
timing of our backups in relation to when the BCV volumes were split.

Legato backups all files that have a modification time that is more
recent than the "-t <date>" argument to the save command (for
incremental saves).  Its as simple as that.  Legato doesn't do a
comparison of each file's actual mod time to the mod time of each file
in the on-line indexes.

This is for Networker 6.1.x, HP-UX server, HP-UX/Solaris/Linux clients.
It may be different for Microsoft Windows and Novell (we do backup
Windows and Novell, but haven't had the need to experiment to find out
how it behaves in those cases).