Networker

[Networker] Too many characters in a path

2004-04-09 11:47:47
Subject: [Networker] Too many characters in a path
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 11:47:36 -0400
The NetWorker server here runs NSR 6.1.3 under Solaris 9. Recently,
backups of one of Suse Linux clients started to choke and displa RPC
argument errors. This client is running NetWorker 6.1.2. In investigating
the source of the problem, I found that NetWorker was choking because
one of our users has a file in a path that's too long for NetWorker to
parse.

Of course, I could always just set up a directive to skip this directory,
but I am wondering what other options I have because I would like to
include this directory in my nightly backups. Life will go on jus fine if
this directory is not backed up since it appears to be part of a canned
CGI script that one of our users installed in his account, but I would
like to back up everything and also prevent the problem from happening
again if a user on this system creates another path that might be too
long for NetWorker to parse.

Thanks,

Stan