Networker

Re: [Networker] tape capacity

2004-04-08 16:07:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] tape capacity
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 13:07:09 -0700

> I am using 200GB tapes

What technology is this?  Is this 200GB native or 200GB assuming 2:1
compression?

> running "Unix with compression
> directives" which if I am not mistaken should provide
> 400GB storage space but when I look at the Volumes
> window I see the following:
>
> Written   %Used
>  67 GB     68%
> 169 GB    100%
> 108 GB    100%
> 162 GB    FULL

Okay..

#1.  The server does not see any compression done by the client.  It is
     just handed a (compressed) data stream.  The figures you see in
     mminfo will reflect that.  It is possible that your 108GB of data
     on the tape can uncompress to 200GB or more, but the server does
     not know that.

#2.  The percentages you see are just an estimation based on figures
     that are set for the drive and then indirectly on the volume.  When
     a volume is labeled, it is given a capacity.  This capacity is used
     for only one thing, calculating the % numbers you see.  It would
     appear that the default capacity for your tapes is 100GB.  Anything
     over that will appear as '100%', but networker will keep writing to
     the tape until it fills, so you don't lose space.

     You can modify the 'volume default capacity' figure for each of
     your tape drives to a larger number if you like.

Overall, things look a bit strange to me.  If your clients are all
compressing, I would expect your 'full' numbers to be very close to each
other.  You only have one data point, but one non-full tape is already
higher.