Networker

Re: [Networker] mminfo and fragflags

2004-04-05 11:01:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] mminfo and fragflags
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 08:01:54 -0700

> Hi all,
>
> when I ask my server with mminfo for the reportspec
>
> client,name,totalsize,fragflags,fragsize,ssid
>
> I see that at least one ssid is on the same volume several times with
> fragflags of cb, mb and tb. Why this?

It's just the way networker works.  Add on 'mediafile' and 'mediarec' to
the report.  You'll see that networker places different sections of the
data into separate tape "files".

> AFAIK this means that one ssid is
> sitting entirely on one volume, but is fragmented into several parts. I
> could think of a volume that was written to with several save streams at
> once, but for this volume this is not the case; the client was backup'ed to
> a file device and staged to this volume then.

Even so, networker writes out savesets in terms of "fragments", which
are separated by file markers on tape.  I suppose that this can make
recovery more robust in case of media errors, since each fragment can be
read independently from tape.