Networker

Re: [Networker] AW: [Networker] unstable networker 7.1.1 (running on Sun Enterprise 250 Solaris 8)

2004-04-02 09:11:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] AW: [Networker] unstable networker 7.1.1 (running on Sun Enterprise 250 Solaris 8)
From: Jessica Blackburn <jessica.blackburn AT ACTERNA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:11:04 -0500
On this list I have read several times that a Sun E250 may not be adequate
to perform backup but I haven't seen any statistical evidence to support
this position (or a way to determine this).  Recently I wondered if my Sun
E450 was overloaded so I performed a statistical analysis.  I enabled sar
and graphed (using MS Excel) the output of sar of swap, paging, cpu load
and device activity (my tape drives are directly connected to my backup
host).  I am also using MRTG to graph the amount of traffic going through
the NICs.  My system is showing some paging when the indexes of the NDMP
backups are being written and high tape drive utilitization.  My analysis
may not be fully comprehensive but I have much more insight to what's
happening on my system.

Jessica Blackburn
Acterna