Networker

Re: [Networker] "scratching" tapes in a scalar 100

2004-03-26 17:43:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] "scratching" tapes in a scalar 100
From: Tim Mooney <mooney AT DOGBERT.CC.NDSU.NODAK DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 16:43:25 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] "scratching" tapes in a scalar 100, me said...:

>I have partial backups, misc files, etc on about 30%
>of the tapes (from a previous environment) the unit
>was given to me, tapes and all and I want to redeploy
>it so I thought the best thing to "start from scratch"
>would be to reset the tapes to 0% used?
>
>I hope that makes sense...if not let me know and I can
>try to clarify.

I understand in principle what you're trying to do, but
it's not clear to me whether you've inherited just the
jukebox and tapes (some/all of which have previous data
on them, possibly from NetWorker?) or whether you've
inherited that *and* a NetWorker server installation,
that knows what data is on each tape?

If you inherited everything (including a NetWorker
server that has a particular notion about what data is
on each tape that you inherited), then to start
over the easiest thing to do would be:

- delete all the tapes from NetWorker's media database,
  so it loses all recollection of what savesets and media
  you've previously backed up:

  You can do this from a Bourne-like UNIX shell via:

  IFS='
'
  export IFS
  for t in `mminfo -q volume`
  do
    echo nsrmm -d "$t"
  done

Once you're certain that it's doing what you expect, remove the `echo',
and if you're really brave, add a `-y' before the `-d "$t"'.

That deletes all media from NetWorker's knowledge.  Be careful, I just
gave you a bunch of rope, loaded firearms, etc.  Use with caution.

- Relabel all the tapes into the pool you plan on using.

  There are several different ways to do this, but something like

  nsrjb -v -L -S 1-max_jukebox_slot_here -b 'your pool name here'

or

  #
  # skip some slots that don't have tapes, label everything to the
  # pool "My Default Pool"
  #
  nsrjb -v -Y -L -S 1-10 -S 12-23 -S 27-64 -b 'My Default Pool'

should label everything.  Again, be *careful*.  If there's anything else
in the jukebox at this point, it's probably gone buh-bye, especially if
you use `-Y' with nsrjb.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney AT dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak DOT edu