Networker

[Networker] label issue, DLT7000 <-> SDLT labels <-> ATL P3K

2004-03-25 11:01:15
Subject: [Networker] label issue, DLT7000 <-> SDLT labels <-> ATL P3K
From: Ty Young <Phillip_Young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:01:00 -0600
I have already opened a case with Legato on this (3086021.)

Environment:
Server: NetWorker 7.1, Solaris 8
Library: ATL P3000, 8xDLT7000

A while ago one of our IS people went out and bought some labels for new
DLT tapes he'd purchased.  For whatever reason the vendor gave him "ATL"
style labels, i.e. ABC123, but with an appended "S" on it (which I have
come to understand is to delineate tapes as SuperDLT rather than regular
DLT.)    When he deposited these into the P3K he used "nsrjb -d" without
specifying labels, as auto media mgmt should read detect these tapes as
blank and label them according to what's on the barcode.  The tapes were
subsequently written to for backups, without issue.

Now, upon trying to retrieve data from these tapes we find we're unable to
load these tapes into the tape drives inside the P3K:  "Illegal Request,
Incompatible Medium Installed".

My assertion is that Auto Media Mgmt doesn't detect what will later be
found to be an incompatible barcode when labelling a tape.   Has anyone
else experienced this issue?

-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Backup/Recovery Systems Mgr.