Networker

Re: [Networker] Should I just use the Default Pool

2004-03-19 04:43:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Should I just use the Default Pool
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 07:31:19 +0000
Darren Dunham wrote:
Scenario: I have a server and a few clients. I have
created two groups, (1)Clients and (2)Server. The
schedule I created has everyone do a full bu on
Saturday and incr every other day (starting at
different times).

My question is this: Is there any reason I cannot or
should not just use the default pool? I considered the
"full" and "non full" but with a jukebox managing all
of the volumes does it really matter?

Good question.

I generally recommend that you use multiple pools only in a few
situations.

1) Separate retention periods
   If you want to retain the fulls longer than the incrementals (or the
   servers longer than the clients), then you'll probably want to put
   the groups in separate pools.  That way you don't have space taken up
   by short termers that can't be used because there's a long termer on
   the same volume

2) Separate handling criteria
   This is really just like the last case, but you might have a
   situation where the server tapes have to go offsite.  In such a case
   you'd reduce the volumes you had to touch by segregating them into
   their own pool

Without either of those, using a single pool may be the best solution.

I share Darren's opinion here, but I have a couple of points to add.

(3) There are VERY occasional scenarios where you might need to use the
advanced criteria offered by pools, such as where you might want to
backup the same client to different storage nodes, perhaps for full and
non-full, or for a specific off-site requirement etc. In most cases this
won't apply but it's useful to bear in mind.

(4) Although a single pool configuration is often desirable, I would not
use the Default pool for this. I would create a new pool and use that.
The reason for this if future flexibility coupled with the artificial
and pointless restrictions imposed on the Default pool by the
developers. For instance if you decided to add a second pool for a
different retention period you might then decide you would like to
automatically recycle tapes between pools, but you wouldn't be able to
do this using the Default pool because Legato have decided that you
can't change attributes such as "recycle to/from other pools" for the
Default pool.

>>In addition if I use the default pool I should not
>>need to worry about a haulted bu due to no volume
>>available as they would all be available.

This is a good point, but if you have your system configured correctly
the problem won't occur.