Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning

2004-03-17 11:30:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning
From: "Maiello, Robert" <robert.maiello AT THOMSON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:30:17 -0500
Good question..

First my sentence should have read  "nsrclone can hang indefinitely reading
the source
tape if there is a write error on the target tape."

I did have the target tape drive replaced after noticing that 3 out 4 of my
write errors were
on that drive.   That said,  the problem manifested itself with networker
not releasing the
source drive (drive being read from).  It goes on to use the target tape
drive later in the night
that had the write error.
I suppose the drive, if bad, may not send a proper signal to the nsrclone
process?

Legato seemed to think it belonged to this bug/issue number.   I tend to
agree,  if nsrclone gets
an error writing to a tape it should deal with it in some coherent way
(fail?).   In my case it
appears that the root cause of the write errors may have been the drive.

Robert Maiello
Thomson Healthcare