Networker

Re: [Networker] Gathering info for building tape multiplexing overview ?

2004-03-16 14:04:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Gathering info for building tape multiplexing overview ?
From: "Faidherbe, Thierry" <thierry.faidherbe AT HP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 20:04:49 +0100

Darren,

>> I am trying to compute a way to get a sight on tape multiplexing
>> factor. MediaDB stores a ssid-based per volume MediaFile, MediaMark
>> and MediaRecord infos.

>I'm not sure I understand your question.  You want to know how many
>simultaneous sessions are on a volume by looking at the media records?

Yes !

>> Does someone have a good formula/way to put them together back
>> to rebuild a per volume overview of how the tape data to be
>> multiplexed ??

>What kind of report do you think you want to see here?  It'd be pretty
>easy to show the start and end points of each ssid, and you could even
>show the number of ssids saved in each media file.  Perhaps that second
>one is what you're interested in.

Well, it's not so simple you describe it, taking into account a ssid
can be written across different volumes.

>>It might also be very instructive to see the number of bytes from each
>>stream in the media file.  Depending on the balancing, the number from
>>each stream could be very different.

That's a good point I will investigate/work on ! Thanks

Thierry

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE

HP Services - Storage Division
Tru64 Unix and Legato EBS Consultant

 *********       *********   HEWLETT - PACKARD
 *******    h      *******   1 Rue de l'aeronef/Luchtschipstraat
 ******    h        ******   1140 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 *****    hhhh  pppp *****
 *****   h  h  p  p  *****   100/102 Blv de la Woluwe/Woluwedal
 *****  h  h  pppp   *****   1200 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 ******      p      ******   BELGIUM
 *******    p      *******
 *********       *********   Phone :    +32 (0)2  / 729.85.42
                             Mobile :   +32 (0)498/  94.60.85
                             Fax :      +32 (0)2  / 729.88.30
     I  N  V  E  N  T        Email :    thierry.faidherbe AT hp DOT com
                             Internet : http://www.hp.com/

MOBISTAR SA/NV

SYSTEM Team Charleroi, Mermoz 2 Phone : +32 (0)2  / 745.75.81
Avenue Jean Mermoz, 32          Fax :   +32 (0)2  / 745.89.56
6041 GOSSELIES                  Email : tfhaidhe AT mail.mobistar DOT be
BELGIUM                         Web :   http://www.mobistar.be/

> I am trying to compute a way to get a sight on tape multiplexing
> factor. MediaDB stores a ssid-based per volume MediaFile, MediaMark
> and MediaRecord infos.

I'm not sure I understand your question.  You want to know how many
simultaneous sessions are on a volume by looking at the media records?

> Does someone have a good formula/way to put them together back
> to rebuild a per volume overview of how the tape data to be
> multiplexed ??

What kind of report do you think you want to see here?  It'd be pretty
easy to show the start and end points of each ssid, and you could even
show the number of ssids saved in each media file.  Perhaps that second
one is what you're interested in.

It might also be very instructive to see the number of bytes from each
stream in the media file.  Depending on the balancing, the number from
each stream could be very different.

I'm thinking perl, read the fragments, store a hash based on the volume
and file number, and record the ssids seen.  Then either report the
maximum ssids seen in a file, or sort the files and show the total ssids
seen in each one.

Note: To sign off this list, send a "signoff networker" command via
email