Networker

Re: [Networker] Slow filer backups

2004-03-11 12:12:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Slow filer backups
From: Itzik Meirson <imeirson AT MBI.CO DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:09:51 +0200
It seems you are hitting a bottle neck with indexes generation.
Assuming you have N NDMP drives, the Netapp will send N independent data
streams to your backup server containing the list of files backed up.
This data is all kept in /nsr/tmp.
Once the Netapp finishes with a saveset your backup server will start
massaging the accumulated index files and create the actual indexes in
/nsr/index/Netapp directory.
During this massaging time, there are no backups to the specific drive
that just finished the NDMP portion of the backup. This "drive idle
time" will actually reduce the total average throughput you see for the
drive.
So I would assume that your /nsr/tmp or even the whole /nsr filesystem
is overloaded during these backups.
I would suggest that you look at the I/O utilization of the /nsr
filesystem.

One way (at least for test) to avoid this overhead would be to
completely suppress index generation for the NDMP backups. This could be
accomplished by specifying HIST=N as the only application data
information.
Itzik