Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning

2004-03-08 12:27:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning
From: Paula Ehn <pehn AT CC.UMANITOBA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 11:27:31 -0600
Solaris 8/ Networker 7.0

We are certainly having a similar problem here only we are running in a Solaris
environment. I had a Legato case open before Christmas but they kept blaming the
tape drive hardware. At the time, it had only occured once on that drive but
since has occured many times and at least once on all our drives. I admit, our
present backup server is under-powered for what it is doing but we are upgrading
it very shortly. I still can't believe that is it because it was working fine
until I upgraded from Networker 6.1.3 to 7.0.

When I find it in this "hung/SuperSlow" state, I just kill the nsrclone process
and play catchup later by running the nsrclone command manually. It annoys me to
no end when it happens on a weekend!

We did just get a bunch of new tapes of which were delivered to us when it was
-40C outside. A couple in the batch have already had issues and been marked full
far too early. I could see how this might be related to the cloning problem as
it's happened more frequently since we started using tapes from this new batch.

Paula

| Paula Ehn  VE4MHZ/VE4HZ                    Room 624 Eng.        |
| Unix System Administrator                  pehn AT cc.umanitoba DOT ca |
| Academic Computing and Networking          (204)474-7849        |
| University of Manitoba                     Fax: (204) 474-7920  |