Networker

Re: [Networker] setting different browse policies

2004-02-27 10:10:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] setting different browse policies
From: Teresa Biehler <tpbsys AT RIT DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:09:55 -0500
1) Putting the backup server into each group with the clients appears to
work (based on one test).

2) We thought about putting all the index information into a separate
pool, but we were concerned about one tape holding so many indices.  To
minimize this risk, we were thinking of writing a script to rotate
through a set of tapes.  For example, if 2 nights of index backups fit
on one tape, write:

tape1, tape2, tape3, tape4, tape1, tape2, tape3, tape4

instead of:

tape1, tape1, tape2, tape2, tape3, tape3, tape4, tape4

To do this, we'd mark the tape that was written yesterday as readonly
and then the next tape in the chain as appendable.

3) We thought of this too, but are a little hesitant to alter the
retention times with a script.

Is having 3 definitions for each client clumsy?  Well, not after they
are set up - and we have a script to define new clients.  It walks the
user through entering name, group, etc. and then creates appropriate
nsradmin input files.  Also, so far, maintenance is not too bad.  It
does cause a couple issues, however, including:

- When we use owner notifications, multiple messages are created.  We
have a script which consolidates messages for a group of clients before
sending out the notifications (most of our owners are interested in
multiple clients).
- When the bootstrap is printed, we get multiple copies.

We like this configuration because it's using Networker to schedule
Networker tasks.  That is, the control is all within the software rather
than distributed out to a variety of scripts.  When designing this, it
seemed simpler to keep all the control in one place.  This set up is
fairly new in our environment, but so far, it's working well for us.

Thanks.
Teresa