Networker

[Networker] Schedule configuration?

2004-02-19 08:28:01
Subject: [Networker] Schedule configuration?
From: Ed Guenther <eguenthe AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:27:47 -0500
Robert,

      When I need to change something en masse I usually use the command
line nsradmin program.  I do something like:

# nsradmin
nsradmin> edit group: FullTuesdays

      This puts me into a unix style "vi" editor.  From here I use some vi
commands such as:

:g/FullTuesdays/s//FullTuesdays, Specialgroup/g

      (Note: before typing this hit "escape" once.)  This command does a
global find and replace.  Find "FullTuesdays" and replace with
"FullTuesdays, Specialgroup".  In other words it adds a new group to the
line.  (Physically the group has to already exist in the Legato system.)
After making your changes hit "escape" then type:

:wq

      nsradmin will prompt you to "update?" each client that was changed.

      Two caveats though when using this technique.  If your clients use
the password field which shows up as "********" in this editor, the
password will be reset to a literal "********".  So this technique doesn't
work well with those types of clients.  Secondly the vi session that
nsradmin dumps you in "gets confused easily".  I'm not entirely sure why
but if you do too many changes at once the system won't give the "update?"
question after you type "escape" :wq.  No harm done in these situations,
any changes you made are just disregarded.

HTH,

-Ed.