Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP for NAS devices- do you like it?

2004-02-12 13:12:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP for NAS devices- do you like it?
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:12:05 +0100
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Yura Pismerov wrote:

YP>     BTW, probably a silly question, but...
YP>     What are the real advantages of using NDMP for NetApp over backing
YP> it up through NFS mounted shares ?
YP>     For example, I have a single NetApp volume (let's say 2 TB). Does it
YP> make sense to use NDMP in my case ?
YP>     Especially considering the fact that it is going to be a single data
YP> stream.

According to our tests, you want to use NDMP regardless. If you backup
things via NFS, your backup server will perform less with other
simultaneous backups, and most importantly, ACLs are not backed up if you
do it over NFS. Which might be bad if the saveset being backed up is
normally used by CIFS clients. Backing up a client that has the NetApp
SMB-mounted didn't give any good performance either.

With networker 7.1.1 it seems like they fixed the annoying bug which made
some NDMP backups unrecoverable if a previous backup on the same tape was
aborted or similar.

Annoying bug #2 intorduced in networker 7 is still there though. If one
has a windows client defined with the FQDN only (no short name in the
alias list - useful when you have two machines with the same same in two
different domains), the networker user on the client can't recover the
data, since it looks for the clients short name only. Using the CLI
"recover" command works fine however. LEGATO, PLEASE FIX THIS!

//Oscar