Networker

[Networker] Backing up part of an NDS tree

2004-02-11 18:38:54
Subject: [Networker] Backing up part of an NDS tree
From: Timothy Biles <tbiles AT D.UMN DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:38:47 -0600
I'm trying to backup my NDS partition in a larger NDS tree.  I have
admin rights to my container, and I believe my syntax for the save set
is correct.  I have tried a manual backup of the subtree, and it appears
to process through a large number of my objects, and then stops on an
object that is higher in the tree.

The save set syntax looks like this:

{NDS}.OU=Sitename.O=Orgname.T=Treename

When I went through docs, it appears that you don't need to specify the
".T=Treename" portion, but the save set failed with that part missing.
They way I "discovered" that I should add it was by doing a manual
backup via the Networker console on my server.  When browsing the
objects to backup, it started with .T=Treename, and then I maneuvered
down the tree (just like you would for a subdirectory in the file
system) to my OU, marked it, and ran the backup.

It looks like it works until the end of the backup.  What appears to be
happening from the log file is as follows:

1) It backs up all the objects beneath OU=Sitename.O=Orgname.T=Treename.
 2) It backs up the OU I marked in the Backup menu.
3) It then trys to backup the parent of the OU I marked (in my example
.O=Orgname.T=Treename).

I then get the following:

(1) .O=Orgname.T=Treename User has no access rights to the named object.
RPC error, Can't encode arguments
(2000)  Connecting directories failed
See file 'SYS:NETWORKR.LOG' for a listing

It does this 3 times, and ends the backup job.  Why does it try to back
up the parent object?  I'm going to try it as a scheduled save set
tonight to see if it behaves the same way.  Since I'm in a large tree, I
don't have admin rights above my OU (and I don't expect to).  Is this
just a "feature" that I can ignore?  Can I assume the container backed
up successfully?  Is there something I'm missing that would cause this
behavior?

Thanks.

--
Timothy M. Biles                                    voice:(218) 726-6959
ITSS - Systems Administrator                          fax:(218) 726-7674