Networker

Re: [Networker] Need help loading/unloading tapes using SCSI commands

2004-02-06 17:41:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need help loading/unloading tapes using SCSI commands
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:41:14 -0800
> I guess the problem with using nsrjb is that it might not respond if
> there's already a hung nsrjb process running, and that can happen, so
> I'd like to be able to communicate directly with the picker without
> using nsrjb -- some way to get around the hung nsrjb process without
> rebooting the host. Trying to kill it does not always work.

Whoa!  Having problems with nsrjb is a far cry from wanting to move
non-Networker labeled tapes around.

> We've had problems with the sg driver entry for the picker just
> disappering on the Storagetek, and Legato needs this to be able to
> comminicate with the Adaptec driver. So, for example, instead of inquire
> reporting normal output like:

If you're having trouble with the driver, I don't see that 'nsrjb' is
going to be any different from the other utilities that talk to the
robot.  They're all going to require the driver.

> At this point, nsrjb isn't going to work, but I'm curious if the
> utilities like movemd or sjimm, etc. would still be able to? Do they
> communicate with the sg driver, too?

They're going to use the same driver.

> Is there anyway to communicate directly with the picker from the OS?

That's what a driver does.  I'm sure you could write a program that
sends commands directly to the scsi adapter to do stuff, but that would
be beyond my abilities.