Networker

Re: [Networker] Write protected tape

2004-02-03 12:26:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Write protected tape
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:26:53 -0800
> In the GUI's the readonly flag is indicated with a "(R)" next to the
> volume name in the Volumes window.  The "(R)" next to the volume name
> in the Devices pane indicates that the device is readonly and is
> unrelated to the volume readonly flag.

Very well.

> My guess is that NetWorker will never automatically change (set or
> reset) the volume readonly flag (an exception here, depending on your
> POV, is that it will be "reset" when a volume is deleted - a volume is
> deleted automatically as part of a label operation - often label
> operations are automatic).

I have seen the (R) in the gui often in the past, but I cannot now
verify what conditions caused it to appear.  I am certain that setting
the volumes explicitly to read-only was not done.

Besides manually setting it, the read-only flag will also be set if a
volume is forced to be recycled.

$ mminfo -r 'volume,state,volflags,volretent'
 volume           flags expires
DLT.001                undef
$ nsrmm -o recyclable DLT.001
Mark DLT tape DLT.001 as recyclable? y
$ mminfo -r 'volume,state,volflags,volretent'
 volume           flags expires
DLT.001        E  r    expired

Further, this appears to happen when 'nsrim' marks it so.  I've taken a
tape that is still appendable and marked the only saveset on it
recyclable....

$ nsrmm -o recyclable -S 533865729
Mark save set 533865729 as recyclable? y
$ mminfo -r 'volume,state,%used,volflags,volretent'
 volume             (%) flags expires
DLT.001              6%     undef

Then I ran nsrim...

$ nsrim -X
nsrserver:/, 0 browsable cycle(s)
0 browsable files of 40235 total, 0 KB recoverable of 560 MB total

DLT.001:  564 MB used,     1 save sets, appendable->recyclable, 1
recyclable save sets
$ mminfo -r 'volume,state,%used,volflags,volretent'
 volume             (%) flags expires
DLT.001        E     6% r   expired

It didn't mark the tape 'full', but it did mark it recyclable and
read-only.

> The state of the volume readonly flag has no bearing on whether a
> volume is selected for recycling or not.

I agree.  (and this is the topic that started the thread).

> Given the above: in a normally operating NetWorker setup that is left
> to operate by itself (ie, automatically) there will be no volumes with
> the readonly flag set - any that do will have been set by a human.

I don't think so.  I've commonly seen the flags in 5.x and 6.x and I've
never (or at least very rarely) set them.  Now I have often forced tapes
recyclable due to scripting outside of the networker retention scheme,
so that may count as being set by a human.

Even so, the 'nsrim' above also set it...

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company